- 2 3/4 cup Oatsome Oat Flour Blend
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup very cold dairy-free unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup very cold shortening
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 6 Tbsp ice cold water
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp cinnamon
- For the Glaze:
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp water
To make the dough:
- Chop the butter into small chunks and place in a small bowl. Put the butter, shortening, and water into the freezer for about 5 minutes or until really cold.
- Add the Oatsome Oat Flour Blend, sugar, and salt in a large bowl and stir to combine the ingredients.
- Add the butter and shortening to the flour mixture and mix until the butter and shortening are incorporated into the flour.
- Add in the eggs, water, and apple cider vinegar and mix until the dough forms and all the ingredients are combined. The dough will be sticky.
- Shape the dough into a ball, wrap it in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 45 minutes.
To assemble the pasties:
- Preheat your oven to 350°F. Unwrap the dough ball, cut the dough ball in half, and place the half onto parchment paper lightly floured with gluten-free flour.
- Shape the dough half into a rectangle. Lightly flour the pastry with gluten-free flour, and roll out the dough to about ¼-inch thick using a rolling pin.
- Using a ghost-shaped cookie cutter, cut into 12 shapes.
- Place the dough shapes onto a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Repeat the steps with the other half of the dough ball to make 12 more shapes. These will be the tops of the pastries. You will have 12 ghosts in total.
- Combine the brown sugar and cinnamon.
- Spread 2 teaspoons of the cinnamon sugar mixture on each dough bottom.
- Place the dough shapes on top of the filling-topped dough shapes.
- Use a fork to crimp the sides of the dough together.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until the pastries are golden and browning on the edges.
- Let the baked pop tarts cool on the pan for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely before glazing.
For the glaze:
- In a small bowl, whisk together the ingredients for the glaze until smooth.
- Use a spoon or small spatula to glaze each pop tart. The glaze will slightly harden. Use a bit of black decorating icing to make the eyes and mouth for the ghosts.
- Store pop tarts in an airtight container at room temperature for 3 days or in the refrigerator for 6 days.
- Enjoy your Gluten-Free Ghost Pop tart!